WRITERS: Download my Services Flyer here.
ARTISTS: Download my Services Flyer here.
As a freelance writer and editor, it's my pleasure to work with individual artists, writers, lifelong learners, arts organizations, and students to help improve writing skills, generate new fiction or memoir material, edit manuscripts, or press manage for individual artists and events.
I have interviewed more than 50 artists and published essays about their unique creative processes in magazines both nationally and abroad. If you would like to be considered for a feature, please email me with a list of magazine preferences and your CV. Payment for essays comes from the magazines and is at no cost to the artists. Additional services, such as artist statement revision, are detailed on the Services Flyer.
My personalized editing, critique, and mentoring services are for all levels in creative nonfiction and fiction. Novices wishing to improve their craft may sign up for a series of assignments and critiques if they desire. Professionals may benefit from my outside critique, creative suggestions, and line-level editing of full-length manuscripts.
Download the services flyers and email katey.schultz[at]gmail.com to get started.
Read what others are saying:
Read what others are saying:
- “The Spruce Pine Potters Market, now in its fifth year, was fortunate to have Katey come on board as our writer and marketing director in 2010. Her expertise in the publishing world garnered our event articles and visuals in some of the most influential, widely read magazines and newspapers in our region. We are excited that she is able to direct our marketing efforts again this year!” (Connie Sedberry, SPPM Coordinator)
- "Katey's invaluable contribution as an editor was her ability to identify mannerisms, such as the repeated use of certain tenses, that slowed the action in my novel. She pushed me to find a more creative way of expression, and to focus on more precise language. In simple words, she zeroed in on my careless habits and made me a better critic of my own work." (Laura Brylawski-Miller, author of The Shadow of the Evening)
- "Katey is a careful and discerning editor, bringing the artist's sensibility and the editor's meticulous attention to detail to everything she does. Her insightful editing of several essays and my memoir has helped me identify and reduce abstractions, clarify detail and intensify scenes, and smooth the narrative flow while remaining true to the author's voice and intentions. I value Katey's input highly, and recommend her to anyone looking for professional and intensive guidance in his or her writing craft." (Shannon Huffman Polson, author of North of Hope)
- “It is through the honest and intelligent interaction between visual art and writing that the subtle undercurrents of ideas can be revealed and appreciated. Through dialogues, interviews, and conversations, Katey's clear and smart voice time and time again unveils the embedded language of form and content in my creative expression. She is a pleasure to work with, open and diligent, clever and sophisticated in her analysis. I would recommend her to anyone seeking a professional and talented arts writer.” (Cristina Cordova, ceramic sculptor)
- "Working with Katey Schultz has helped me improve my writing tremendously. She is honest and insightful about what areas of writing shine, and those that don't, giving wonderful advice for fixing any kinks. The personal interest Katey takes in both the writer and the writing and the advice she gives have made me grow as a writer and as a person, which, in the competitive literary world, can often become separated.” (Jason Storms, student)
- “Katey provided invaluable revisions and insights in her review of my manuscript. She was particularly adept at identifying realistic scenes and whether those scenes moved the plot of the novel forward. With her professional critique I was able to take the novel to the next level. I would highly recommend Katey to anyone serious about the writing craft and getting their work published.” (Michael Conlon, author and literary agent)